Allergic reactions: Don't underestimate the dangers of wasp and bee stings
No matter whether eating cake in the garden, in the ice cream parlor or in the beer garden: in summer it can easily happen that you are stung by a bee or wasp. Stings can be dangerous, especially for people with insect bite allergies. The health minister Melanie Huml warns that the danger should not be underestimated.
Also dangerous for non-allergy sufferers
In the summer months it can happen that wasps and bees get too close and stab. Insect bites are bothersome and painful. In the worst case, an allergy can even lead to death. But the stings can also be dangerous for non-allergy sufferers, for example if they occur in the mouth or neck area. Experts warn that the dangers should never be underestimated.
Stitches can even lead to death
Bavaria's Minister of Health Melanie Huml advises caution in wasp and bee stings. Huml.
“A wasp or bee sting is not only painful, it can also lead to violent allergic reactions and even death. Therefore, the dangers of wasp and bee stings should not be underestimated, ”said the politician in a message.
According to experts, around 3.5 percent of the population in Germany are allergic to insect venom.
According to the health survey by the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), over 17 percent showed an immune response to wasp venom in medical tests, and the rate for bee venom is just over 11 percent.
"Knowing whether you have an insect bite allergy is crucial for rapid therapy in an emergency," says Huml.
Allergy sufferers may experience cardiovascular arrest
"Bees and wasps are among the most common triggers of insect venom allergies in Central Europe," explained the minister, who is a certified doctor.
"Allergy sufferers get a quickly occurring rash on the whole body, sweating, dizziness or shortness of breath when they are stabbed, they often lose consciousness and cardiovascular arrest can occur," said the politician.
And further: "In the worst case, anaphylactic shock occurs, an extreme allergic reaction of the organism. Here the patient has to be injected with adrenaline immediately. ”
Many are unaware of their wasp or bee venom allergy
Huml added: “Many people do not even know that they are allergic to wasp or bee venom. If an allergic reaction is suspected, a doctor should be consulted immediately. "
She explained: “Using skin tests and the detection of specific antibodies in the blood, it can be checked whether you actually have a wasp or bee venom allergy. General practitioners and specialists will provide information. "
In any case, people suffering from wasp and bee venom allergies should have an emergency kit with them so that an allergic shock can be prevented immediately if they are stung with antihistamine and adrenaline.
Specific immunotherapy (hyposensitization) can be used as therapy for people with a proven wasp or bee venom allergy.
The respective insecticide is injected under the skin under careful medical supervision in increasing concentrations over a longer period of time. The aim is to avoid violent and potentially life-threatening reactions after another stab.
In the case of insect venom allergy in particular, success rates of up to 95 percent can be achieved with hyposensitization.
Protect from wasps
Smoke and fire are ways to protect yourself from wasps. According to experts, it has proven effective to put lit coffee powder on the table.
Other home remedies for wasps can also help. If there is enough space, you can, for example, place sweet fruit or lemonade a few meters away to keep the animals away.
Cool stitches with cold envelopes
But what to do if the wasp has stung? If the stinger can still be seen, it should be carefully pulled out with the tweezers.
Then cool the body area around the stitch with cold envelopes so that the swelling subsides more quickly. As a home remedy for wasp stings, onions or lemon wedges, which are placed on the affected areas, are also suitable.
Such means are often not sufficient for allergy sufferers. (ad)